Dear Kirk Family,
Negotiations to re-purchase our property were temporarily halted because the PCUSA added demands not contained in the purchase agreement that the Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery and you voted for. Even though the denomination’s additional and unexpected demands stopped the transaction we voted on, we are still in negotiation. Your session has authorized John O’Connor, our lead litigating attorney, to head up a team for new negotiations. He has already been in contact with the Eastern Oklahoma Presbytery.
We believe the only reasonable way we can complete this re-purchase is to have the same kinds of contractual guarantees that you and I would insist on if we were buying a home. We want it to be free and clear of any alternate claims to ownership before we actually write the check. It is the lack of such guarantees, along with the PCUSA’s clouding of the agreement that stopped our original deal.
Your session authorized our negotiators to seek the following:
- $1.75MM purchase price,
- Warranty Deed,
- Title Insurance,
- Assurance in writing that the Synod or others will not oppose the deal,
- A December Close Date,
- Release all church leadership of any and all liability.
If the above is unsuccessful, we still have some alternatives to move on.
At the same time, Sean McKee and his partners were authorized to move forward with the appeal procedures in order to protect our path forward as to the various court deadlines.
Both the new negotiations and the filing of our appeal will take place this week. Please keep John, Sean, and their colleagues in your prayers. Also pray that the Lord will soften the hearts of the decision makers in our old denomination.
Your brothers in Christ,
Tom & Wayne