The Layman Story: Lancaster (EPC) loses in court; plans appeal for church property
- Congregation voted 243-0 on June 15 to affiliate with EPC
- Asked the judge to delay enforcing his decision while the congregation considers an appeal.
- Session voted Wednesday to move ahead with an appeal and to enter into negotiations with the presbytery
- The church building at 5461 Broadway dates back to 1832, making it the second-oldest house of worship in Erie County.
- The congregation spent $1 million expanding and renovating the space in 2002.
- LPC Website
- Presbytery of Western New York
- Presbytery News Release: The Presbytery of Western NY, through its Administrative Commission continues to be ready, willing, and able to meet with representatives of Lancaster Presbyterian Church to facilitate their graceful departure from the denomination.
ED: I see the Presbytery is pushing the same old tired line:
"The Presbytery is confident that had Lancaster Presbyterian Church met with the Administrative Commission, this court ruling could have been avoided."
I hope that are not that clueless! The past behavior of other Presbyteries, PCUSA (Louisville Papers), has poisoned the trust between every single church and the high governing bodies.