PCUSA GAC letter: Interpreting the actions of the 218th General Assembly
Dallas Morning News: Presbyterian News Service: Jerry L. Van Marter
New Wineskins: statement
Here is my micro-summary:
- Moderator: The Rev. Bruce Reyes-Chow, a young (39) contemporary church pastor from San Francisco.
- Stated Clerk: Rev. Gradye Parsons, currently the primary Associate Stated Clerk
- FOG: (Form of Government Revision) the Task Force will continue another two years
- Ordination Standards and Same-sex unions:
- proposed amendment to the constitution that would remove the “fidelity and chastity” language *
- removed all Authoritative Interpretations (AI) on the subject
- a new AI on allowing scruples exceptions for behavior
- Chose to keep the definition of marriage as being between a man and a woman
- Recommend making changes to five questions in the Heidelberg Catechism *
- Recommend including 1986 Belhar Confession *
- Departures from the PC(USA):
- Loses for 2006: 57,572 (2.5%) members
- Start investigation of the EPC is actively recruiting churches away
- Legal defense fund to help presbyteries
- Encourages presbyteries to handle a church's request for transfer pastorally and with graciousness.
- per capita was raised $0.36 to $6.15
- Disapproved of per capita reform overtures.
- Disapproved of divestment because of involvement in the Israel/Palestine conflict
- Approved the Social Creed for the 21st Century
- advocate for single-payer health care.
- General Assembly Council -> General Assembly Mission Council
- Youth Advisory Delegates -> Young Adult Advisory Delegates